The Ultimate Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD) Guide - Pulse Labs

So now you know what VPD is, how it impacts plants, and how you can change VPD. All that’s left is to figure out how to use this information in your own grow. Ideal VPD, as a general rule for plant growth, is around 0.8 – 1.2 kPa (kilopascals). However, your plants have different needs during different stages of growth. You need to tailor your grow environment to the stage of growth that your plants are in. Below are some general recommendations, but keep in mind that these recommendations can vary strain to strain, and setup to setup. As always, observe your plants and tweak things accordingly.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://pulsegrow.com/blogs/learn/vpd
1 Like

Thanks for reading my article. Let me know if you have any questions!

3 Likes

Hi, I enjoyed reading your article. I’m new to VPD and have always just used humidity. Currently, my tent is 75°, humidity is 64.2% and the VPD is 1.01. According to what I’ve read, the VPD is ideal as well as the temperature. The humidity seems high. Early veg. Any advice? Do I just ignore humidity? Thanks!

paul

Hi Paul,

I am a commercial grower and I cultivate indoors using artificial lighting and co2 enrichment, with inorganic salts in coir as a medium. This is considered “high performance” cultivation which means that the plants are much more sensitive to the conditions they are placed in, and achieving optimal values is critical to the business. For home growers, achieving optimal environmental parameters is not typically necessary, and is also sometimes not even desired.

In my facility, I keep the humidity between 68% and 75% throughout veg and deep into flower, only dropping once the buds start to swell and become dense enough that I become concerned about the moisture within the bud itself being significantly higher than the air in the room. These may seem like high humidity levels but they are necessary in our case to have healthy, tender plants at a high temperature and light levels while also keeping the plant able to rapidly absorb CO2. The high humidity reduces transpiration which reduces water consumption by the roots, which allows us to maintain a higher fertilizer strength without harming the plants.

If I were growing for personal reasons (i.e., in a tent), I would not grow this way. I would cultivate with low nutrient strength at lower humidity levels so that mold/mildew risk was reduced as well as reduce the risk of fertilizer toxicity. I would also grow with lower light levels, which would allow me to either use lower CO2 ppm or use outside air as my CO2 source which would avoid the unnecessary dangers of CO2 enrichment in a home environment. At more mild conditions, there is little to be gained and maybe even something to be lost by shooting for the commonly cited “optimal” vpd ranges.

This is my way of saying that there really is no “correct” vpd at any stage of growth, it depends on your setup, how you like to grow, how your plants are responding, and what your goals are. I’m positive some of the suggestions you read will not work for you, and some things that work for you are probably considered wrong by someone else. I suggest you keep notes of when you achieve good results and create your own targets and strategies over time.

Short answer: 64.2% is not high humidity for early veg. One way of understanding VPD is the “drying power” of the air, and while I suggest you pay more attention to temperature and humidity levels since they are intuitive, calculating vpd can help you decide how to compare one setup to another. For instance, if you typically like your growth at a VPD of 1.0, and for some reason you must run your room at 100 degrees F, you can use VPD to calculate that the humidity you should probably shoot for to avoid stress is 85%.

1 Like

Hi Noah,

Thank you for the reply! I really appreciate it. It’s always great to hear from an expert. I’ve been growing a very long time, but it’s always been very unscientific with no measurements. I’ve had some good success, I love growing autos. Currently, I have a 5 x 5 x 8 tent with an HLG6 650, 600 W LED light, AC Infinity fan and filter, AC infinity humidifier and their Pro 69 controller. This provides me with a lot of information, including humidity and VPD. The peak amount of light is around 1000 µmol/m2/s. I use a GH nutrient blend and high frequency fertigation. Temperature and humidity/VPD have been hard to figure out. I read an article last night that recommended a maximum of 700 µmol/m2/s, with another advising up to 1500, but with CO2 supplements. It was my understanding, and I will defer to your expertise, that we as growers want to encourage transpiration, which causes the plant to draw nutrients from the media (I use very well washed coco and perlite.) This is always been my concern regarding the humidity being too high. I presume, and it seems incorrectly, that if it were too high, the plant could no longer transpire as the air was too saturated. I want to squeeze out every last little bit I can from these autos. The average yield is 4 ounces per plant. That’s good in my understanding. So if you were using my set up, what would you recommend for humidity/VPD for autos in the various stages of growth? Should I forget about VPD for a while and just focus on humidity? Thank you again! This is so much fun.

paul

Hi Paul,

I’m surprised you can only get 1000 µmol/m2/s (which I’m going to refer to as ppfd) in a tent with that light, you must have it hung pretty high up. But if so, that’s good, because those HLG lights have a tight spread. I consider them to be high-bay lights; I have them in one of my rooms and have them connected to the ceiling, not even on a hanger, so I can have a remote hope of spreading the light around evenly. Every other one of my rooms has bar style lights which is nice because the plants can grow to within 4 inches of them without damage and I still have even light across the canopy.

700-800ppfd is a good recommendation for 12 hours of light for hungry plants (tomatoes, peppers, cannabis) grown without CO2 supplementation. 1500 ppfd is enough to cook almost any plant and if anyone gets results with these values they are an exception, not a rule. Technically I can get a plant to grow under 1500, but it’s not going to look as good as the one under 1300. If you are vegging with 18+ hours, you should be under 700ppfd even with CO2. Get used to calculating DLI; my lights are always set based on DLI.

As far as transpiration, like I alluded to in my last comment, there can be too much of a good thing. Traspiration is your way of getting the plant to suck nutrients out of the soil and dry the soil back which pulls oxygen into the soil. For one, if you are growing in deep water hydro you don’t ever dry back so you “need” even less transpiration. There is also an idea amount of fertlizer, too much being a way more common result of poor yields than too little. As a grower, I do my best to match transpiration to the amount of nutrient I feed. If I’m used to growing with 1000ppm of a nutrient at 70% humidity, and I decide to switch things up and drop to 50% humidity then my plant will be consuming far more water so I have to drop my nutrient to say 750ppm to avoid burning.

You can actually get very scientific about this: for instance if I want my plants to consume 5.5 grams of a nutrient mix per day, and the plant consumes 1 gallon of water per day at 70% humidity, then I would mix 5.5 grams per gallon in the irrigation water; if I then reduce my humidity to 50% and the plant consumes 1.3 gallons per day, I would reduce my nutrient to 5.5*1/1.3= 4.2 grams per gallon as a good estimate.

Put another way, you don’t need transpiration to increase the amount of food the plants consumes, you can also just increase the amount of food you put in the soil. You must balance the two factors. But as I’ve said to a hundred other growers and had a hundreds other growers say to me, less is often more when it comes to nutrients. Show me ten photos of glossy curled up burnt tipped plants being fed 3.0 EC and I’ll show you ten thousand photos of supple healthy green beautiful flawless leaves being fed at 1.8 EC.

There is plenty of transpiration occurring at 70% humidity provided the airflow is good. My pots can go from fully saturated to deeply dry in less than 24 hours.

Yield per plant is another relative thing. This is totally dependent on which plant, which media, how much media etc. I used to grow autos as a seed producer and in a deep water culture setup with unrestricted root growth I have grown autos with 2.5 pounds of flower on a single plant. One unfortunate thing about autos is that your only control over their “veg” time is the amount of space you give the roots; they basically go to flower as soon as the roots hit a wall. My average for autos in 2 gallons of coir given 2.2 square feet per plant and grown under 18+ hour light cycles is about 4-5 ounces.

As far as my recommendations go, it’s hard to go out on a limb and assume I know what your environment and pest/disease pressure is like as well as how your plants respond to the nutrient you are giving it. You kinda have to read the plants and ask them what they want. I also don’t disagree with the recommendations in the article at the top of this thread, my reason for chiming in was to reinforce putting things in perspective.

But if I was setting up a tent and had CO2 and had good airflow and was ontop of my deleafing/pruning then I’d shoot for around 1.2 kPa vpd beginning to end, only considering dropping at the end of flower if I was worried about bud rot or air flow. And if I was growing autos I’d have my lights dimmed to provide 700 to 750 umol for 18 hours which is a lot of light; I’d set my CO2 ppms to match the umols, so around 750ppm. If my dehus or ACs were struggling or I was growing in an area with poor insulation causing light/dark temp or humidity swings I’d grow with 24 hours of light and dim the light proportionally. The only thing I’d adjust throughout the cycle is the temp, starting at 82-85F, eventually landing at ~72F (adjusting the humidity to keep the vpd about the same). That’s just me tho, there are a hundred ways to fry an egg.

5 Likes

Hi Noah!

Thank you so much, that is a lot of useful information. My app does measure DLI as well as PPFD. BTW, my light will make way more than 1000 PPFD, that’s just the highest I’ve ever gone. I’m just starting a new grow. I’m going to try a VPD of 1.2 per your suggestion (I promise I won’t get angry if I screw something up :-). My tent is in the basement which is rather cool, so I always need to add heat, certainly at the beginning. I have a heater hooked up to my system. It turns on and off based on the temperature. I will try higher temperatures as well. I admit to being afraid of mold/bud rot. Killer yields with your autos! Thank you again!

paul

Hi, awesome article, I’ve read it many many times at this point haha… I’ve got a question about nighttime VPD, specifically leaf surface temperature and what I should do about the offset , daytime is -6, but at night it has to be closer to 0 I assume? More wondering if my humidity is too high at night or not…

I’m doing my first ever grow, currently in early stages of flower and I’m noticing high humidity in the tent at night… During the daytime I’ve got a -6 surface temp offset and I run 1.2 vpd, but it drops to 0.65ish range at night… But if I set the offset to 0 at night then I’m in range… Seeing this I figured I’m okay at night… Is this wrong to assume the leaf temp and room temp are the same or very similar when the lights are out? Sorry for the long reply. Hope I didn’t miss anything, listed more #s below for night and day. Thank you!

About 83F and 51%RH during day, 1.2ish VPD, -6 offset for leaf surface temp
Currently 74F and 57.8% putting me at .69 VPD w/ -6 offset for leaf surface temp, turns to 1.1ish with 0 offset.

Edit: I guess it just occurred to me that I could check it myself… but its forbidden to go into the tent when the lights have been off :sweat_smile: soo i’m hoping for some insight.

1 Like

Hi @SleepyGary , thanks for the kind words. At night your offset is indeed closer to zero, but overall there’s no real transpiration going on at night (1/10th to 1/100th of the amount happening during the day), so VPD is pretty much irrelevant.

I wrote a section here on it: The Ultimate Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD) Guide - Pulse Grow

BRO

This is super spicy content, I’m facing some issues in this vein in my grow currently.

We’re facing huge problems with our AC in our building and temperatures are rising like a bastard. We’re reticent to add more tables into production because of how much additional heat the lights will throw.

I’m curious though, we went overkill on some enormous fans (evaporative cooler units ironically enough) to help cool the grow off.

If we were to run those extra tables, would the increased airflow over the plants offset the risk for mold/mildew with increased temperature and humidity?

Have you ever had experience running rooms at such high temperatures?

Cheers,
Aidan

Have

Also, By virtue of your post below, would we need to adjust our EC accordingly to help the plants acclimate to the need for more water?

Cheers,
Aidan

I recently came across this site researching VPD . I am new to all of this and with the overwhelming amount of contradicting information i’ve come to the conclusion that trial and error and learned experience is the only way !
I say that to say, i learned more from the few paragraphs you wrote in response to a post than i have since i started this particular information hunt.
The information is hard enough to understand but add in the attempt to sell you something and everyone is an expert. especially if im not. Thanks again Sean

The is no SINGLE VPD for everyone, VPD is not the answer, but an means to track your grow. VPD is the ratio of temp and humidity, but other factors weigh in heavily for each persons situation, such as a C02 enrichment and DLI preference. So my VPD will vary based on how I choose to grow my plants. Figure HOW you want to grow, then just use VPD as a way to keep your temp/humidity ratio correct for all your other variables.

Interesting, can you give some examples of parameters you would play with if you co2 enrichment or different stages of bud growth. I’m assuming you’re thinking about growth steering at different times?