Lowering RH in a Tough Environment

Only bad thing I can say about hlg product is they are so damn heavy.

Your concoction turned out A-1! Is everything right where you want it?

It will work I promise. You’ll need 4 though! And yes you can send them right back within 30 day’s.
Do you have any fans on the floor?
How many plants in the tent?
I’ll stop shooting my cockamamie idea’s right after this one.

When’s the last time you watered?

Try splitting the plants up for now until they dry out a bit then bottom feed.

Or is it hydro?

I’m running 6 in 3 gal pots…5 Mephisto 3 Bears OG, and a Mephisto Forum Stomper (front right).

I have 2 larger floor fans at the back of the tent pointing towards the center front creating a “X” pattern of airflow towards the bottom, and I have 4 of small clip-on fans on each corner of the tent blowing down towards the canopy. I feel this is good because the plants are waving nicely.

I water 5x/light cycle, and the plants love it. Some would call it hydro because I’m running straight coco and using a res to feed with hydro halos. Dude…no cockamamie ideas…we’re all in the struggle to get the perfect environment nailed down.

Dude you’ll have to show me the set up! I’ve been wanting to do something like that but I really wasn’t confident in setting it up right. Just hearing of automated watering sounds awesome!!!

Check out floraflex if you want to do automatic watering. They make it super easy.

I followed this, and it works great.

I’m using Hydro Halos, not the drip emitters. I also am not using the drum in the article. I went to Home Depot and got one of those 27 gal containers that’s black with the yellow lid…very common in hydro setups. I set this up for max 6 plants, but if I want only 4, I turn off the valve for the 2 not in use. The valves are also handy for adjusting the water flow so you get a consistent, even runoff on each plant. I’m not the most handy guy, and I was able to do this no problem.

I was seriously considering the FlorFlex system. You could even mix and match. I like those Matrix drippers FlorFlex has.

Either way, I would highly suggest Hydroguard to keep your res in a healthy condition. It’s a microbe product that overpowers/out-competes the nasties that like to build up in reservoirs.

I used their FloraCaps system for mine. Get a decent pump and you’re golden. I love that it’s modular, making it easy to switch up or upgrade without necessarily starting over

@tommy.tee - I’m about to order some of these…may start out with 2 just to see. This thing has some crazy lights on it…they can all be turned off, right? Also, how did you rig this to drain to waste? Just pop a hole in the water res with a tube? Or tube directly to water outlet?

Also, do you have these mounted high or just sitting on floor? Also, how long is the power cord? My outlets in the tent are mounted at the top for safety. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

Hey @yesimhigh - if you manage to get your RH down in your lung room to 45-50, increasing your exhaust in your tent should be able to get your tent RH down (assuming you’re exhausting outside, rather than back into the lung room). Is your exhaust maxed?

Also - you’ve really gotta do something about that runoff sitting in the tent. I suspect that it’ll make a big difference.

1 Like

Hi @peet. Yes, my T6 in maxed out with carbon filter and it does exhaust into lung room. Not optimal, I know, but what I have to deal with. Do you think going to an 8" would make any difference or not really since I’m exhausting into the lung room?

I need to work on getting that water out, but even at night with no water in the trays, it still gets up to 70% at this late stage in flower.

Yes they turn off(the lights) an you can take out the tiny water tray and hook fish tank air line right up to the unit so there is no damage done to unit so it’s still 100% returnable

1 Like

Any way you can get it exhausting somewhere else? T6 is probably already moving a lot of air for that size tent.

1 Like

Colder air into your intake will push moisture up to top of tent so that extraction fan will pull it out

1 Like

Here is how I handled my humidity issues. The “small” 70 pint dehumidifiers do not work well enough for even a 4x4 tent with healthy plants in it.

I went ahead and bought a portable commercial dehumidifier that actually uses less amperage than my 70 pint while being able to handle over 15 gallons per 24 hour period. Yes it cost a lot but it does the job and costs less in power so will pay for itself vs. burning out smaller dehumidifiers.

I also increased my fan speed to pull more moist air out of my tent and into my room for the dehumidifier to handle.

These two changes are putting my VPD right around 1.5 for flower and I have never had (so far!) mold of any kind and the plants are crazy happy.

So, bigger dehumidifier and increase evacuation of moist air from your tent solved my issues.

2 Likes

Unfortunately no way to exhaust elsewhere.

That makes sense @SuperSteve. I may try bumping up my 6” inline exhaust fan up to an 8”. I have a feeling when I attach the carbon filter, it really hinders the performance. I think the 8” will help me out.

Which commercial one did you go with? A Quest? If so, those are big money.

Here’s what I did in the meantime that actually seems to be working. I placed my dehumidifier in the tent with the shoe box mod and ducted the hot air outside the tent. I can have this running full time because I have a hose attached to the dehumidifier draining to a container outside the tent that I’ll dump every once in a while. Right now, I’m at 77 degrees with 54% RH (lights off), which is a ton better.

I know this is inefficient, but if this will work for me during the last few weeks of flower, I can live with it. I will also need to hook a carbon filter up to this because it’s pumping out smelly air. Have to be careful with that in prohibition land. Still probably going to upgrade fan because my lung room is 20% less RH than the tent, so perhaps it’s just not able to get enough of that dry lung room room air in there?

Hey can I ask one of you guys a question outside of environment? You guys seem pretty knowledgeable so …

1 Like

Do you have an intake fan for your tent or just exhaust?

Yeah, man…go for it. May want to start another thread…this one is getting long…lol.