Initial Setup & Parameters

Hi guys, so I’m new to the Pulse arena and I’m wondering if any of you can help me out a little bit.

I have setup my Pulse Pro and it is currently in the tent for 24 hours with a hygrometer for calibration. Once i have calibrated the Pulse monitor and set the template to the “Veg Template / VPD - 1.2” - are the parameters set for Temp & RH etc, already set as the recommendation values to reach the desired VPD?

Secondly can someone maybe explain to me what the “Light %” is reading or measuring? I am attached a screenshot from the app to give some background of what I’m referring to. It is the bottom setting in the below screenshot

I do apologise in advance if my questions seem stupid :joy: but we just trying to understand the Pulse Monitor thoroughly! :joy:

One last thing i wanted to ask is if there are any detailed tutorials or documentation explaining each parameter for veg & flower cycles - Or maybe a blog post detailing a few key features of the app for users?

TIA

Hey Tia,

Welcome to the Pulse family, hope you’re loving your Pulse Pro so far! The Veg template thresholds are loosely based to help you stay in the ~1.2VPD range. This varies slightly depending on your LST (Leaf surface temp) offset that you can set in your device settings (You can find out how to set it here). Once that’s set, your “VPD Target” recommendation will also be a bit more accurate. If you haven’t already, I’d suggest checking out our VPD Chart/Calculator, it’s a great resource to see how certain conditions effect your VPD.

The light % shown on your graph/dashboard is a constant “Relative Light Intensity” reading using a simple LUX sensor. This is mainly used for telling if your lights are on/off at the correct times (based off your photoperiods). You can take PAR/PPFD readings with your Pulse Pro, which provide a much more in-depth spectrum analysis.

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions or concerns, the team is always more than happy to help!
-John

1 Like

I can maybe help on a couple points:

Once i have calibrated the Pulse monitor and set the template to the “Veg Template / VPD - 1.2” - are the parameters set for Temp & RH etc, already set as the recommendation values to reach the desired VPD?

The templates are a good starting point but there are most certainly points within the threshold settings that would result in radically different VPD than 1.2. Assuming I’m looking at the same template it has a pretty broad threshold because you can achieve 1.2 VPD at a number of different temp/rh measurements. Its up to you and your environment. Some like to run their grows in the 80s and others can’t get their grow space that warm so they run cooler, but adjust temp/rh to the correct VPD. Pulse had a good article and VPD chart here: The Ultimate Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD) Guide - Pulse Grow

Secondly can someone maybe explain to me what the “Light %” is reading or measuring? I am attached a screenshot from the app to give some background of what I’m referring to. It is the bottom setting in the below screenshot

So I believe this measures lux, but personally I use it to monitor a few things:

• Monitoring if my light is on/off, which ensures correct light cycle
  • Monitoring if my light level suddenly changes, usually because a leaf covers the sensor.
    I set my thresholds on that pretty high during the day and pretty low at night. If something changes from a light perspective when I don’t expect it too, I really wanna know :slight_smile:

I have setup my Pulse Pro and it is currently in the tent for 24 hours with a hygrometer for calibration.

Not a question but I wanted to comment on this. I assume you are doing this to calibrate the hygrometer to the Pulse unit? For monitoring I trust my Pulse unit the most out of any equipment I have and consider that the source of trust. Personally unless I had access to a calibrated environment or a lab grade equipment I’d default to Pulse for those.

1 Like

Thank you so much :pray: I just wanted ask on your last comment - thank you for commenting on this by the way.

So the Pulse Monitor is already calibrated? In the setup instructions it says I must calibrate the monitor by placing in the same place as a hygrometer for 24 hours and calibrate accordingly - am I misunderstanding this step? :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Thank you so much for all the help - I will give them a thorough read - I have already but I’m not gonna lie - I can barely remember :joy::see_no_evil:

1 Like

Yeah it’s ready to go out of the box :slight_smile:
I think those are instructions on how to calibrate it should it need it, but out of the box you should not.

Here is what Pulse says in regards to their sensors accuracy and calibration: Pulse Temperature and Humidity Sensor Accuracy | Pulse Labs Help Center

Dude thank you so much for all the help!

Just like @monstermash mentioned, Pulse devices are pre-calibrated at our facility and good to go out of the box. Calibration usually isn’t needed, unless the device has been in a harsh environment for a good while and you’re noticing some oddities. Even then, it’s pretty unlikely to need a calibration, and if you do notice some odd readings you can always reach out to us directly at support@pulsegrow.com :slight_smile: