Difficult settings ranges

I’ve had difficulty using the settings sliders since I first got a pulse, and I’ve mentioned in the past how I have a very hard time sliding the dot to the number I want, which is still true. However today I’m here to point out a different angle on this issue.

The ranges are so wide that it makes it practically impossible to set a setting without just getting lucky. The temperature range minimum and maximum are -40 (Fahrenheit!) and 185. Are people really sticking these into liquid nitrogen and using them to cook turkeys?

This is what a typical practical alarm range looks like:

In reality, sliders are just less useful than a location we can enter a number directly, but if we must have sliders then the min and max should be in the range of practical application so I can slide the bubble further per increment.

Thanks for your consideration.

1 Like

Hey @Noah,

Thanks for bringing this up! I see how that can be tricky when the range is very small, particularly on mobile. People are indeed using sensors for fresh frozen storage and some other interesting use cases.

I will discuss potential solutions with the engineers, but it seems that changing them to text input fields would solve this. I’ll post back once we have something in place!

Out of curiosity, what device are you using?

Thanks for the reply. I’m using an IPhone 14 Plus, on 17.5.1.

Perhaps templates could be used to set additional settings, such as mins and maxes depending on a use case. For instance, a dry room with a pulse doesn’t have a day/night and neither does a freezer, and different use cases have different useful ranges; I think templates are already divided based on stages so this could be expanded upon.

1 Like

These are difficult because the UI is not mobile friendly, and the scale doesn’t make sense. No one is setting anywhere near -40F or 185F. My suggestion isn’t just to fix the scale since this is a bad UX for the job required. I suggest something more like this:

Adding plus/minus toggles or another more accessibility friendly UI is really needed.

EDIT: Re read @Noah’s post and realize that some people are setting for really cold temps, but that also kinda of supports my point that a better UI for setting max/mins is required.

Out of curiosity do you have the data on Pulse user who access from web desktop vs mobile app vs web mobile and are you willing to share that data? I would be shocked if access from a mobile device wasn’t the vast majority of use. I’ve given suggestions in the past on how to tighten up the UI/UX, but as a whole mobile UI is crucial in 2024, and those sliders have always been hard to use.

This may come as a shock, but we do not run analytics on the app. It hurts performance, and more importantly, it would negatively impact user anonymity which is an absolute priority for us.

I won’t leave you hanging though: 77% of our storefront traffic is mobile which is telling enough (breakdown below) and is not lost on us! We are working on a major mobile-first UI overhaul for many areas of the app— sharing any pains, just like this one, will guarantee it gets resolved once released.

Appreciate the feedback and support! Keep it coming.

1 Like

As long as you are talking Mobil UI.
I utilize a multiple tent setup. Separate for clone, veg, flower, and dry.
I may be using the batching wrong but I set up a batch per plant instead of per run because I want to keep individual stats per cultivar not per run and I always run several different cultivars per run.
Generally they all get moved from tent to tent the same day though. How hard would it be to make multiple batches selectable when you switch phases and move locations? If I move 8 plants to dry/cure I the. Move 8 to flower and then move 8 from clone to veg. That takes me a lot of time in the app to move every batch, if I could do all 8 at once it’s only three moves. Just a thought and thanks for the great ap!

The data I was referring too is present in the user-agent header already. I imagine you could aggregate that data if you wanted.

On the mobile side consider firebase. Doesn’t effect performance and also gives crash reports, release info, performance insights, custom events, etc. It doesn’t gather any PII so anonymity is secure. I use it at work for our various apps.