Bug: can't see numbers as I'm changing values on the app

When I’m using the phone app and attempting to change a value using the slider, my finger covers the value making it so that I can’t even see what I’m changing it to. I have to slide, look to see if I got lucky, slide again, look again, slide again, etc.

Eventually I just end up having to be happy if I got within 1 or 2 of my desired set point before I give up.

Besides making the number visible while sliding, I’d like to see something like a simple +/- or a numerical entry field. I’m not sure a slider makes much sense vs just letting us enter “82” with the keypad.

Hey Noah, you can drag the dot below the slider, so that you can see the number above the slider, and when you start sliding the value around, you can drag your finger up or down for improved visibility of the number.

Am I the only one here with an iPhone? lol.

My fingertip is big enough to cover both the dot and the number, which combined are less than a quarter inch from end to end.

If you move your finger up or down the view scrolls, so the number stays under your finger.

I tested on an iphone as well.

We’ll try and make the numbers bigger and higher up, and the slider selector larger too for it to be easier to use.

The issue seems to still be present in the app. It’s also extremely difficult to set values that are close to one another, like 55% and 62% humidity.

I noticed that sometimes I can drag my finger away from the slider which allows me to see which number is underneath, but most of the time the window follows my finger so the value is somewhere under my thumb.

I end up needing to try to use the very tip of my finger and yanking my hand away as quick as I can when I see the number I’m trying to set, which usually takes a few tries because the number changes as I’m trying to let go, it’s a pain.

I’d really just like an entry field for max and min alarms or +/- buttons I could tap. The slider seems like it causes more problems than it solves.

Hi Noah, as a simple fix i made the handles a bit bigger and the labels a bit taller, give it another try and tell me what you think!

Thanks peet. Would it also be possible to halt the scroll of the screen while I’m dragging the slider?

I have been wondering a long time why it seems like I seem to be having issues that other people don’t report; maybe most users aren’t on the same phone I am. It might be helpful for you guys to test the app on an iPhone Xr.

I’ve checked the app store for updates looking for the next version so I could test out the new handles but nothing has come out. When should I look for the update?

1 Like

Hi Noah,

Good idea w/ disabling scroll. That’s how it behaves on the browser currently, but not on the native app. We’ll see what we can do about that. I added it to our software task board.

The updates happen automatically w/o need for an app store update and go live pretty much right away.