Avoiding direct light on sensors

In order to get the most accurate reading, we would like to protect our sensors from lights with a shade, a radiation shield.

@pulse Do you recommend any device/brand?

We re trying to avoid the DIY cardboard Radiation shield.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve been just suggesting cardboard DIY, but LOVE this idea @Godi

Let me know if you find a good one, and i’ll include it in our faqs, etc.

2 Likes

3d print those shields

1 Like

Do you have any 3d models?

I wrapped mine in the same reflective “Mylar” as my walls are lined in. Leaving the light sensor open.

Hmmm…I’ve been letting my Pulse just hang without any covering since I’ve owned it. I guess I need to change that. Are you saying we just need to basically create a “roof” for the device by placing a piece of cardboard/plastic over the top of it? Should there be an air gap left between the Pulse and the cardboard or is okay to place the cardboard directly on top of the device?

1 Like

Great question! interested to see what out experts think!

This might cause some connectivity problems

It’s fine to place it directly on top. Adding a shade helps with accuracy if you’re placing somewhere where there’s a lot of light.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any connectivity issues, been working fine since.

Sounds good. I’ll have to do the cardboard hack. Perhaps on the next iteration of Pulse, the case could be designed in such a way we wouldn’t need to add this, if possible. Thanks.

1 Like

You should manufacture the pulse with a clip on roof ! As a new pulse user I would have never known about light intensity being a factor . Also I would think you would want it in direct light to get a proper temp Rh etc in “real world “ conditions . As in sitting in a place and monitoring exactly as your plant receives the conditions .

Resurrecting an old thread, but I’m wondering if the same is true with the Pro? I read the article where it’s best to have it canopy height, but not under direct light. If it will be receiving some direct light, do I still need the cardboard cover with the Pro?

Thanks

1 Like

I’d only bother with a cardboard cover if you’re getting heating from your lights. In most cases you don’t need it.

1 Like

I just put mine right in the canopy, always trying to get it shaded as much a possible by leaves. I’m hoping that would negate the cardboard roof.

Think that’s ok?